29 January 2011

Upholstery: Yes you can!


Hi, my name is Courtney, and I'm here to tell you that YOU CAN do your own upholstery. I gutted and recovered the chair pictured above when I could barely sew a button.

I know that sewing is intimidating. It's hard. It's foreign.

But don't be afraid to take something apart to see how it ticks. I took a perfectly good chair and dissected its  cover. Then used the fabric to make a pattern that I sewed myself onto the chair. You just have to take a leap of faith, trust your instincts, be determined to finish....and consult You Tube!!!!

You're going to see in the next few weeks some pretty impressive DIY upholstery jobs. My goal is to inspire you to follow suit.

YOU CAN do it. Because I did.

Check out how I did this project here: http://bigbeigebox.blogspot.com/2009/09/pimp-my-chair.html

3 comments:

  1. awesome. i have an office chair i really need to get around to upholstering... kind of scary but it will be fun and challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!

    I spent two college summers in an upholstery shop, and I can say you've done an outstanding job for a non-professional. Hell, I won't even tackle nailhead trim and I know how to do it.

    P.S. Taking apart the old upholstery to make a new pattern is EXACTLY how the pros do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisa, do it!!!!! I'd love to help cheer you on. Should we start a DIY upholstery hotline?

    Rania, that's a BIG compliment!! Can we call you for a lifeline? PS nailhead sucks.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...