14 November 2011

NYC Buildings: Central Park and NY Public Library

My college roommate (Hi, Ab!) came to visit this weekend and we shot a TON of photos. She is one of a handful of friends that I can fun anywhere with, doing absolutely nothing. We trekked over 5 miles on Saturday in glorious, crisp, Fall weather. I was planning on shooting with my personal Canon and getting a lesson from her on using my manual settings, but I failed to charge my battery and was only left with my iphone. Here are some of the snaps I took and uploaded on Instagram (@bigbeigebox). 
We left my house in Hell's Kitchen in the morning and walked up 8th Ave to Central Park, crossing through Lincoln Center. We walked up to the park to the West 70s and cut across, as I've never explored the East side. This picture above is taken at the Conservatory Reflecting Pool, where visitors can rent motorized mini sailboats. 

According to the official website, Central Park's plans originally called for a formal flower garden and a large glass conservatory, surrounded by a reflecting pool. The plans for the conservatory were abandoned, but the pool stayed, inspired by similar ones in France. 

Did you know that there are over 29 sculptures in Central Park? This one by Michael Sailstorfer was installed early September of this year and is made out of  truck tire inner tubes. It's absolutely stunning in person and rises over 30 ft above the sidewalk. Be sure to check it out (it's on Central Park South, across from FAO Schwartz) as it will be there until February 2012. 
Lastly, we toured the New York Public Library's Stephen Schwartzman location on 42nd St. This beau-arts building opened to the public in 1911 and is considered the "main" location for the NYPL. We checked out the free tour (every day at 11am and 2pm) and got a great history of the construction and materials of this amazing building. 
The exterior is made of Vermont marble and some of the pillars inside are solid slabs. This building also has a corridor of marble harvested from Greek quarries that also supplied the Parthenon.  

Every weekend this city unfolds in front of me and I'm amazed and so appreciative of all the "new" things I discover. Please comment if there's a place you'd like me to investigate, I'm open to suggestions and would love to see NYC through your eyes!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...